Skin Cancer Forum
Skin Cancer Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Skin Cancer Forums at Topicalinfo.org
 Skin cancer topical treatments
 Petty Spurge Herb sap for skin cancers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

BBirdz

10 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  01:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jilly-Thanks for clarifying. Did the doctor you met tell you anything about how to use the PS? When I used the sap I covered it with a bandaid so a scab wouldn't form which I don't think they did in the peplin trials. I did have an open pit form where the nodule had been but by the next morning it had filled in with white. I wonder now if that was the core of the cancer I was seeing.
Do you know the names of the types of cancer that don't respond? I thought they were mostly testing it on superficial basal cell. The one I have is most likely nodular.

quote:
Originally posted by Jilly

Hi there,

Yes I meant my 3rd round. Each round I waited until the skin healed enough before starting, that is now open wound or scabbing. I kept retreating because even though the external part of the tumor fell off, it is still there underneath the skin. I can see it, its white and is directly under where the external part fell off. My skin is now healed again and I see that unfortunately it is still there. I was told that there are three types of carcinomas that require MOHS, where nothing will work. The Dr. who told me this happened to run part of the Australian trials of Peplin. As I haven't had a biopsy yet of the tumor I don't know for sure which one i have. I just know its still there underneath. I did the applications once a day for three days. I tried this last 3rd time to sleep with it one night. I stop usually when I see the area become extremely inflamed. (immune response maybe) I'll post photos tomorrow. Hope that answers your questions.
quote:
Originally posted by BBirdz

Jilly-
When you say you are starting your third application do you mean of your second treatment round or is this actually a third round of treating the same spot? I had to delay re-treatment as I got sick and didn't want to treat when my immunity was low. I am wondering how your retreatment has been going,how many applications you did the second time around and how you are determining the need to treat a third time (if this is your third round) Thanks and wishing you all the best with your treatment!



Go to Top of Page

Jilly

5 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  14:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

No unfortunately he didn't and in fact he said that while the trials were successful he wouldn't recommend that I go pluck a plant and use the sap. I did not cover with a bandaid but maybe I should have. My scab formed immediately upon application and I too most likely had a nodular BCC. I do have the three types written down somewhere so I'll try to find them and post in addition to the photo of my current state. Cheers.

quote:
Originally posted by BBirdz

Jilly-Thanks for clarifying. Did the doctor you met tell you anything about how to use the PS? When I used the sap I covered it with a bandaid so a scab wouldn't form which I don't think they did in the peplin trials. I did have an open pit form where the nodule had been but by the next morning it had filled in with white. I wonder now if that was the core of the cancer I was seeing.
Do you know the names of the types of cancer that don't respond? I thought they were mostly testing it on superficial basal cell. The one I have is most likely nodular.

quote:
Originally posted by Jilly

Hi there,

Yes I meant my 3rd round. Each round I waited until the skin healed enough before starting, that is now open wound or scabbing. I kept retreating because even though the external part of the tumor fell off, it is still there underneath the skin. I can see it, its white and is directly under where the external part fell off. My skin is now healed again and I see that unfortunately it is still there. I was told that there are three types of carcinomas that require MOHS, where nothing will work. The Dr. who told me this happened to run part of the Australian trials of Peplin. As I haven't had a biopsy yet of the tumor I don't know for sure which one i have. I just know its still there underneath. I did the applications once a day for three days. I tried this last 3rd time to sleep with it one night. I stop usually when I see the area become extremely inflamed. (immune response maybe) I'll post photos tomorrow. Hope that answers your questions.
quote:
Originally posted by BBirdz

Jilly-
When you say you are starting your third application do you mean of your second treatment round or is this actually a third round of treating the same spot? I had to delay re-treatment as I got sick and didn't want to treat when my immunity was low. I am wondering how your retreatment has been going,how many applications you did the second time around and how you are determining the need to treat a third time (if this is your third round) Thanks and wishing you all the best with your treatment!





Go to Top of Page

Jilly

5 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  14:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he said that the BCC subtypes that need to be operated on involve Morpheic/Infiltrating and Micronodular, perineural invasion.
Go to Top of Page

BBirdz

10 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  00:42:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again, Jilly. I look forward to your next progress update.
quote:
Originally posted by Jilly

I think he said that the BCC subtypes that need to be operated on involve Morpheic/Infiltrating and Micronodular, perineural invasion.

Go to Top of Page

dfi

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  19:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
News flash!!! LEO Pharma which acquired Peplin Biotech several months ago has just obtained FDA approval to market a new product called Picato. The active ingredient in this product is Ingenol Mebutate which is the same ingredient found in the sap of the petty spurge weed. The product should be out by late March. Unfortunately, they only got approval of the product as a quick and effective treatment for actinic keratosis and not for superficial basal cell or squamous cell skin cancers for which we all know petty spurge successfully treats as well. Picato comes in two strengths 0.015% Ingenol Mebutate for facial application and 0.05% for other body areas. Time will tell to see if any brave dermatologists will write prescriptions for the higher strength Picato and tell their patients to try it on their facial basal or squamous cell cancers. At the very least the FDA approval is a start and it validates the effectiveness that most people in this forum (including myself) have experienced using the sap from the Petty Spurge weed. Here is the link to the announcement:

http://www.biospace.com/news_story.aspx?StoryID=247271&full=1

Thanks to this forum and especially the entries by SoFl and Waverider for giving me the courage and knowledge to try the sap from the Petty Spurge weed which I serendipitously had been removing from my back yard the day before I discovered the forum. Fortunately, I had not removed all of it and am now treating it like the gold that it is. Starting in March of 2011, I successfully treated both a diagnosed basal cell carcinoma on my forehead and a squamous cell carcinoma on my scalp both of which my doctor wanted to remove via MOHS surgery. Had I had the MOHS surgery on my forehead, it would have easily left a scar the size of a US quarter. Within 4 months of using the petty spurge sap (1 application daily for 3 days on my forehead and 1 application daily for 5 days on my scalp), you could not tell there was ever any cancer. The skin erupted pretty violently in both locations, but now looks and feels completely normal.
Go to Top of Page

waverider

75 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  13:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's good news. I wonder, however, why indications for this useful, naturally-occurring substance are being limited only to AK -- and not extended to BCC? I have grown cynical enough to wonder if the dermatologist industry will embrace a natural product which could put a huge hit on profitable cash cows like Mohs, etc.

It will be interesting to discover, also, what the cost of an Rx will be for this less-potent, big-pharma version. Given that most anyone can obtain unlimited, full-strength amounts at home from a 3-buck bag of seeds!
Go to Top of Page

seven

0 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  07:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I began growing PS about 3-4 weeks ago, and they now look like this (about 2-3" each). They are getting longer every day, but some of them are starting to fade/dry, and they look like sprouts rather than developing a proper stem. They seem to be growing higher but not deepening their roots, and I am not sure if that's normal, or maybe my soil is too tight and they grow outwards (?)

I wonder if that how it looked when you start growing yours? Any advise is welcomed.

Image Insert:

79.22 KB
Go to Top of Page

Jack Riggs

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  14:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want to post a message on this site in acknowledgement that if it weren't for this site my face would be a subject to a horror film. I ordered my seeds (Radium Weed) from Australia to treat my bcc on my nose and right temple and they were spreading fast. THANK GOD for these little miracle plants. Took about 4 months for the little fellers to sprout and produce sap. I want to thank you all for your postings and providing me with comfort in knowing that I wasn't alone in this path down fright night. Clear as a babies butt now. God Bless Jack from Georgia
Go to Top of Page

Jilly

5 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  04:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(Accidentally posted in wrong thread before)

Hi All,

Well I just got back from my Dermo who examined my BCC post PS applications and while she said it is still important to do a biopsy (punch) she did say that it looked like the only thing remaining was a scar. Not counting my chickens before they hatch but I was pleased. Meanwhile the MOHS surgeon (I delayed the biopsy/surgery until May 1st) will only give me a biopsy of the area on the day of the surgery. (that one was with private insurance)

I am posting current photos now. I am contemplating doing one last treatment now that the area is recovered to see the reaction.

Also decided to harvest the MASSIVE forest of PS that exists all over here. Anybody have any experience with making tinctures and collecting seeds?


Image Insert:

86.88 KB

Image Insert:

86.1 KB
Go to Top of Page

Jilly

5 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  05:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know which are the seeds, is it the pod or the other little things next to them?

Thanks!

Image Insert:

84.79 KB
Go to Top of Page

busymom

46 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  22:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I am new here to this website. I have found an incredible amount of information since I began reading about a week ago. I posted a question over on the Vit. C board yesterday. Anyway, I have a potentially diagnosed SCC on my forehead. My alternative care doc said that's what she thinks it is and she made me an appt. with a dermotologist for March 27. I am not much one for doctors (not "regular" ones anyway) and so I already was not sure I wanted to do that. After reading all of these posts here, I am now sure that I do not want to go that route.

So, I am definitely sold on Petty Spurge. I have contacted my local County Extension office about locating this plant here in Alabama, but did not get a reply back yet. I am currently treating the SCC with vit c powder and aloe vera gel. The scab came off last night and I retreated again last night and this morning. I am not really sure what to do at this point. It has kind of dried over again, swollen and red around the perimeter. Today is day 4 of treatment. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Jilly, your lip looks very nice. Looks like Petty did a good job, and that is a good report from the doc. Hope it all continues to go well. In reading through this entire thread, I did notice that SoFl did a lot of talking about collecting the seeds, etc., of the plants. Also Irene. I think they both mentioned that the seeds fall very far away from the plant as the pods project them out. I think it was SoFl that mentioned that he crawls around on his hands and knees collecting them. Maybe you can read back and find their postings to get more detail.

Also, Jilly, I am wondering if you would be interested in mailing me some seeds. I'd be glad to pay you, and especially for shipping. I live in Alabama. As I mentioned, I am hoping to find the plant here because I want to go ahead and possibly retreat the area that I have been treating with vit. c powder. However, I want to plant my own plants and get them going. Then I'll be able to share as well.

Thanks so much to everyone who has posted here and shared your lives and your stories.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Jilly

5 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  01:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there and welcome,

I too read far and wide and I must say that out of all I was drawn most to PS, mainly because of the Australian scientist who set out to commercialize the enzyme and then sold the company for millions. This for me was validation plus meeting one of the Dr.s who ran the trial in OZ who emphatically said it does work for non-melanomas.

Over here there are literally forests of PS everywhere so I just pick the plants right out of the ground and take them home. I'd be happy to send you seeds, Im assuming the seeds are the little ones to the left and that they fall out of the PODS. I wasn't actually able to find any photos on the internet, just of the pods. You can email me at jillyrubenstein (at) gmail (dot) com

I would definitely try alternatives first, but keep your appointment with the Dermo in order to verify which type it is.

Cheers,

Jilly

quote:
Originally posted by busymom

Hi All,

I am new here to this website. I have found an incredible amount of information since I began reading about a week ago. I posted a question over on the Vit. C board yesterday. Anyway, I have a potentially diagnosed SCC on my forehead. My alternative care doc said that's what she thinks it is and she made me an appt. with a dermotologist for March 27. I am not much one for doctors (not "regular" ones anyway) and so I already was not sure I wanted to do that. After reading all of these posts here, I am now sure that I do not want to go that route.

So, I am definitely sold on Petty Spurge. I have contacted my local County Extension office about locating this plant here in Alabama, but did not get a reply back yet. I am currently treating the SCC with vit c powder and aloe vera gel. The scab came off last night and I retreated again last night and this morning. I am not really sure what to do at this point. It has kind of dried over again, swollen and red around the perimeter. Today is day 4 of treatment. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Jilly, your lip looks very nice. Looks like Petty did a good job, and that is a good report from the doc. Hope it all continues to go well. In reading through this entire thread, I did notice that SoFl did a lot of talking about collecting the seeds, etc., of the plants. Also Irene. I think they both mentioned that the seeds fall very far away from the plant as the pods project them out. I think it was SoFl that mentioned that he crawls around on his hands and knees collecting them. Maybe you can read back and find their postings to get more detail.

Also, Jilly, I am wondering if you would be interested in mailing me some seeds. I'd be glad to pay you, and especially for shipping. I live in Alabama. As I mentioned, I am hoping to find the plant here because I want to go ahead and possibly retreat the area that I have been treating with vit. c powder. However, I want to plant my own plants and get them going. Then I'll be able to share as well.

Thanks so much to everyone who has posted here and shared your lives and your stories.

Karen

Go to Top of Page

busymom

46 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  02:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jilly. I will e-mail you tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

waverider

75 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  12:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jilly:
Great pics, great results. So good to see all these positive outcomes. I still see good use for high-potency vitamin C in some small cases of BCC and maybe black salve (though I haven't tried it.) Aside from that, it's becoming abundantly clear that petty spurge is the best treatment for basal cell carcinoma in most cases. Just a pain to have to get seeds, wait for it to grow, etc.

I've been hoping for someone with experience to give us some guidance re whether a tincture in alcohol or some other preservative could be made and stored in the refrigerator. Of course, the only way one could test the efficacy of this is on some existing BCC and (fortunately) I am clear at the moment. But it would be an interesting experiment.

Re your seeds picture. Yes, the seeds are the tiny gray/black objects on the left. Under magnification, they look sort of like very small grenades. The pods are on the right. Of course, the pods contain the green seeds and eject them when the seeds are mature. Congrats on a good crop. My plants from new seeds this year didn't do well -- most of them keeled over from some sort of mold or something. But the ones that grew from last year's seeds are springing up all over the place and look healthy.

Here's a picture of PS seeds (magnified greatly):
http://130.226.173.215/cp/graphics/ImageDatabase/EPHPE-SEE-700.JPG
Go to Top of Page

Jilly

5 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  15:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there Waverider,

Yes so far so good. I started another round today and will post after. Regarding the tincture. I did make one with alcohol and crushed leaves and lots of droplets of sap (too many to count). Its a painstakingly long process! Now that I am in harvest mode I intend to add more sap to the original mixture which I have kept in the fridge.

Thanks for the info regarding the seeds. I did figure it out, boy do those seeds fly when ejected. It's absolutely amazing. I now figured out that the only way to go about it is to place the branches in sealed paper bags. Today I had the pods together with the seeds in an envelope and I could actually hear the pods when they release the seeds.

If anybody is in need of seeds let me know.

Cheers,




quote:
Originally posted by waverider

Jilly:
Great pics, great results. So good to see all these positive outcomes. I still see good use for high-potency vitamin C in some small cases of BCC and maybe black salve (though I haven't tried it.) Aside from that, it's becoming abundantly clear that petty spurge is the best treatment for basal cell carcinoma in most cases. Just a pain to have to get seeds, wait for it to grow, etc.

I've been hoping for someone with experience to give us some guidance re whether a tincture in alcohol or some other preservative could be made and stored in the refrigerator. Of course, the only way one could test the efficacy of this is on some existing BCC and (fortunately) I am clear at the moment. But it would be an interesting experiment.

Re your seeds picture. Yes, the seeds are the tiny gray/black objects on the left. Under magnification, they look sort of like very small grenades. The pods are on the right. Of course, the pods contain the green seeds and eject them when the seeds are mature. Congrats on a good crop. My plants from new seeds this year didn't do well -- most of them keeled over from some sort of mold or something. But the ones that grew from last year's seeds are springing up all over the place and look healthy.

Here's a picture of PS seeds (magnified greatly):
http://130.226.173.215/cp/graphics/ImageDatabase/EPHPE-SEE-700.JPG

Go to Top of Page

Anka

Poland
0 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  10:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,
my name is Anka I live in Poland in Europe. I need Your help. My grandmather is sick she has skin cancer. She is 94 old so the doctor say that she is too old to surgey. Her cancer is growing and look very bad.... this plant is my last hope If anyone could me help and send me spurge seed or told me how i got it. I will be very grateful.
If you applied a Erivedge? it is efficacy? it is available in drug stor?
Please answer me if you could help me. my e-mail krolanka@wp.pl
Anka
Go to Top of Page

waverider

75 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  22:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anka,
As far as I know, Beautanicals in Australia remains the only reliable source for Petty Spurge seeds (unless you can find it growing wild.) However, it is inexpensive from them and they do ship internationally. Here's the link:
http://www.beautanicals.com.au/RadiumWeed.html
Go to Top of Page

Anka

Poland
0 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  13:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for information, I buy it
quote:
Originally posted by waverider

Anka,
As far as I know, Beautanicals in Australia remains the only reliable source for Petty Spurge seeds (unless you can find it growing wild.) However, it is inexpensive from them and they do ship internationally. Here's the link:
http://www.beautanicals.com.au/RadiumWeed.html

Go to Top of Page

BasalBoy

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  19:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still using petty purge? What kind of brush do you use?
quote:
Originally posted by SoFl

I have some updated information based on my continuing research.

- I was initially cutting off a branch and sticking a small paintbrush against the plant side of the branch to extract the sap. I have since found that all I have to do is to cut off a leaf at its base and that is much more efficient and much better. The sap is white but it is fairly viscous. It isn't thick like latex. It's watery like mineral spirits. It absorbs into a brush in an instant. I have also found that the leaves contain the active ingredient and if I don't have enough sap I can mash up a leaf in a teaspoon and add a drop of water and that appears to me to have the same therapeutic effect.

- I have been in contact with someone from Australia who has used it on many occasions, and he told me he used it in a way such that he applied it once a day until the suspect area scabbed over and healed. In other words he used it until there was no more reaction.For me that was important information since I stopped my head treatment after only 3 treatments.

- I have finished off the biopsied bcc on the head. This treatment has had the benefit of removing the biopsy scar and although the area is still peeling (not completely healed) it looks all brand new like nothing ever happened at the site. At this point it looks like an abraision happened. My head seems to heal very fast so I expect within a week there will be no visible evidence of any prior treatment...we'll see.

- I am now using it on what I suspect to be a slow growing SCC on my lower leg. My suspicion is based on having biopsied confirmed ones before. The leg is much less reactive. I have been using it for about a week so far and it has eaten a large crater within the treatment area that now appears to be improving (becoming less reactive). On this one I plan to keep using until there is no more reaction but based on the reaction so far, it has already eaten deeper than my (now ex) dermatologist would have cut out with a knife. It has swollen very slightly but so far it has been completely painless although it looks pretty ugly right now.

-summary...I am ecstatic about this plant. I have at this point abandoned all other treatments and experiments because for me, I believe this is a cure, I just need to do more work to figure out the optimum way to extract and use it. I will continue to post my experience with it.

Go to Top of Page

tkdbob

13 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  10:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have been using PS for a SCC on my scalp. My last visit to the Derm showed the lesion is much better. I have also been following the 3 day application and cutting the base of the leaf. The now available Picato is a deriviative of PS and was recommended by my derm. Has anyone tried it? It is very expensive ($600) after discount but might be more controllable and standardized. Any thoughts/opinions?

quote]Originally posted by BasalBoy

Still using petty purge? What kind of brush do you use?
quote:
Originally posted by SoFl

I have some updated information based on my continuing research.

- I was initially cutting off a branch and sticking a small paintbrush against the plant side of the branch to extract the sap. I have since found that all I have to do is to cut off a leaf at its base and that is much more efficient and much better. The sap is white but it is fairly viscous. It isn't thick like latex. It's watery like mineral spirits. It absorbs into a brush in an instant. I have also found that the leaves contain the active ingredient and if I don't have enough sap I can mash up a leaf in a teaspoon and add a drop of water and that appears to me to have the same therapeutic effect.

- I have been in contact with someone from Australia who has used it on many occasions, and he told me he used it in a way such that he applied it once a day until the suspect area scabbed over and healed. In other words he used it until there was no more reaction.For me that was important information since I stopped my head treatment after only 3 treatments.

- I have finished off the biopsied bcc on the head. This treatment has had the benefit of removing the biopsy scar and although the area is still peeling (not completely healed) it looks all brand new like nothing ever happened at the site. At this point it looks like an abraision happened. My head seems to heal very fast so I expect within a week there will be no visible evidence of any prior treatment...we'll see.

- I am now using it on what I suspect to be a slow growing SCC on my lower leg. My suspicion is based on having biopsied confirmed ones before. The leg is much less reactive. I have been using it for about a week so far and it has eaten a large crater within the treatment area that now appears to be improving (becoming less reactive). On this one I plan to keep using until there is no more reaction but based on the reaction so far, it has already eaten deeper than my (now ex) dermatologist would have cut out with a knife. It has swollen very slightly but so far it has been completely painless although it looks pretty ugly right now.

-summary...I am ecstatic about this plant. I have at this point abandoned all other treatments and experiments because for me, I believe this is a cure, I just need to do more work to figure out the optimum way to extract and use it. I will continue to post my experience with it.


[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

evienyc

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2012 :  12:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I have a bcc that was biopsied with clear margins in 2007 and it grew back. The dermatologist is recommending mohs. I really don't want mohs! I know a lady who's face is disfigured because of mohs. From the info I read several weeks ago, I bought seeds for petty spurge from AU and planted them, but unfortunately, I am green-thumbless! It was more than 3 weeks ago and I watered the pot regularly, but nada. I kinda skimmed through the posts and saw there are some people who were able to grow it and/or found it growing wild. I live in NY. Does anyone know if it grows wild around here? If not I'm willing to travel to buy a plant. Will someone sell me one? I'm really scared of mohs...
Go to Top of Page

anivoc

639 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2012 :  14:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Evie... A quick search shows that Petty Spurge does grow in New York just not everywhere..http://plants.usda.gov/java/county?state_name=New%20York&statefips=36&symbol=EUPE6 Not sure where you are in NY but take a look at the map and maybe take a weekend field trip / hunt for the stuff growing wild.maybe Right now is a perfect time of the year to find it. I have some growing in my back yard in California bit not sure it would fare well shipping it to New York. Get real familiar with what you are looking for and do the field trip. If you are unsuccessful hopefully some here on the BBS can help you out.
Go to Top of Page

anivoc

639 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2012 :  14:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Evie... A quick search shows that Petty Spurge does grow in New York just not everywhere..http://plants.usda.gov/java/county?state_name=New%20York&statefips=36&symbol=EUPE6 Not sure where you are in NY but take a look at the map and maybe take a weekend field trip / hunt for the stuff growing wild.maybe Right now is a perfect time of the year to find it. I have some growing in my back yard in California bit not sure it would fare well shipping it to New York. Get real familiar with what you are looking for and do the field trip. If you are unsuccessful hopefully some here on the BBS can help you out.
Go to Top of Page

evienyc

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2012 :  16:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anivoc,
Thanks so much! I'm not in the area that's on the map, but it says it's not fully documented, so I think I will go for a hike and look. I actually checked my pot of seeds that I'd given up on earlier and I saw the tiniest little sprout! Still, I don't want to wait if possible...I'll keep you posted.
Go to Top of Page

Steve NH

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  13:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone in New England need a few fully developed plants?
After 3 tries I think I got it right - but now have a bit too many

I have nine (9) pots similar to this one

Image Insert:

66.19 KB

If you are located in New England I am sure we could make arrangements to get a couple of these to you.
Go to Top of Page

evienyc

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  14:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve NH,

I would love to have one of your plants! Any chance you come towards NY ever? If not, I may come up to you. I am a little anxious to get my treatment started since Dr Hacker is pushing mohs at me and my plants are almost microscopic. How fast do these grow, anyway? Anyone have tips? I'm not the green thumb type. I have them in a pot outside. They get the morning sun and I water them everyday...
Go to Top of Page

Steve NH

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  18:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only part of NY I ever get to is Albany - expect to try to get out there within the next 3 weeks (I hope)

I started these in December
this was my third attempt
A few of the keys I think made a difference
Temperatures - 75 day - 55-60 at night (one problem with most home grown plants is temp never fluxuates much - most plants in natural enviroment would have day/night temps - triggers growth mechanisms
Grown in 100% organic professional growing media (not in potting soil)
Bought a good high quality grow light - on timers 14 hrs light per day
Plants never dry out completely (bottom watering once established)
Two rounds of pinching - that probably delayed them being ready for use a bit - but I believe it produced a nice bushy plant
Go to Top of Page

evienyc

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  20:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve NH,
I tried to email, but the thing wouldn't let me...
I would come up to Albany to get one of your plants, if you could give me a couple of days notice. I'd be so grateful, I'm really bad at growing plants!
Thanks, Eve
Go to Top of Page

Brigid

68 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  10:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jilly,

Could you possibly ask your doctor which the 3 types of skin cancer are that don't respond to petty spurge? I have squamous cell carcinoma and invasive basal cell carcinoma, and so far after 3 or 4 treatments, it has not disappeared. For a number of months the original tumor site just above upper lips is less puffy after my treating it, but eventually I get itching and redness around my nostrils, a sign that it's still there.

Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by Jilly

Hi there,

Yes I meant my 3rd round. Each round I waited until the skin healed enough before starting, that is now open wound or scabbing. I kept retreating because even though the external part of the tumor fell off, it is still there underneath the skin. I can see it, its white and is directly under where the external part fell off. My skin is now healed again and I see that unfortunately it is still there. I was told that there are three types of carcinomas that require MOHS, where nothing will work. The Dr. who told me this happened to run part of the Australian trials of Peplin. As I haven't had a biopsy yet of the tumor I don't know for sure which one i have. I just know its still there underneath. I did the applications once a day for three days. I tried this last 3rd time to sleep with it one night. I stop usually when I see the area become extremely inflamed. (immune response maybe) I'll post photos tomorrow. Hope that answers your questions.
quote:
Originally posted by BBirdz

Jilly-
When you say you are starting your third application do you mean of your second treatment round or is this actually a third round of treating the same spot? I had to delay re-treatment as I got sick and didn't want to treat when my immunity was low. I am wondering how your retreatment has been going,how many applications you did the second time around and how you are determining the need to treat a third time (if this is your third round) Thanks and wishing you all the best with your treatment!



Go to Top of Page

willwill

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  09:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve NH

Just saw your post about PS plants. If you still have them available I will drive there almost immediately. Please let me know. Thank you in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Brigid

68 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  10:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will,

Are you talking to me, Brigid? I have some seeds and plants you can have. I live in MA. You can try sending me an email thru this forum, I don't know if it will work, or you can send me your contact info and I'll get in touch with you. What kind of cancer do you have and has it been biopsied? Petty spurge does not work on all skin cancers.

quote:
Originally posted by willwill

Steve NH

Just saw your post about PS plants. If you still have them available I will drive there almost immediately. Please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Go to Top of Page

CMunz

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  15:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brigid

Will,

Are you talking to me, Brigid? I have some seeds and plants you can have. I live in MA. You can try sending me an email thru this forum, I don't know if it will work, or you can send me your contact info and I'll get in touch with you. What kind of cancer do you have and has it been biopsied? Petty spurge does not work on all skin cancers.

quote:
Originally posted by willwill

Steve NH

Just saw your post about PS plants. If you still have them available I will drive there almost immediately. Please let me know. Thank you in advance.





Hi, I am also looking for a plant or seeds, I am not having any luck sourcing it in WI. I had MOH's 3 years ago and left with a large scar,,, :( on my face. Now have several spots showing up,,, Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

CMunz

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  16:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BCC,,, Have two spots on my face. Had MOH's three years ago,,,:( new spots on other side of face, if anyone has seeds please contact me. I don't want to do the surgery again.
Go to Top of Page

waverider

75 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  19:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CMunz:
If none of the posters above who had plants last spring can help you, the more conventional way of getting the seeds (which many of us have used successfully) is from Beautanicals in Australia. You can order it online and it takes ~ 2 weeks to arrive to most locations in the states. Petty spurge (formal name: Euphorbia Peblus) is also called Radium Weed in Australia.
Here's the link to Beautanicals:
http://www.beautanicals.com.au/RadiumWeed.html

Many of us have looked for a stateside commercial source for the seeds but as far as I know nobody has ever found one.

If I was going to try to grow PS in the summer—at least here in the S. Calif heat—I think I'd try to grow it indoors in A/C and pre-germinate the seeds. I don't think PS likes hot weather, at least that's my experience. But I'm sure it's cooler in WI. Also, if you read thru this lengthy thread you may find additional planting/growing advice. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Brigid

68 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  08:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CMunz,

Did you receive my emails? I had said I have seedlings which I could try sending you if you let me know the details of how you'd like me to package and ship them. You would need to reimburse me for overnight shipping, if you want that, or priority. I would think the less time in transit the better. We also have UPS nearby. I also have a few seeds from a year and a half ago or so, not sure exactly. You might want to find out how long theyre viable before I send them.

Brigid

quote:
Originally posted by CMunz

BCC,,, Have two spots on my face. Had MOH's three years ago,,,:( new spots on other side of face, if anyone has seeds please contact me. I don't want to do the surgery again.

Go to Top of Page

evienyc

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  14:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Has anyone here tried both Cymilium and Petty Spurge? I have been reading through these boards and so far deduced that they both worked for more people than the other things posted here and/or they had less risk of pain and/or scaring and/or recurrence.

I have a bcc on the side of my nose that is recurring after it was biopsied 5 years ago with "clear margins". I really don't want to have Mohs as the dermatologist is recommending. So I grew some Petty Spurge which now has little plants that are about 5 inches tall. Is that big enough? I don't want to break the stem of one only to find it's too small for sap. I have about 7 little plants...

While I was waiting for the Petty Spurge to grow, I bought some Cymilium.

Which should I try first? Any recommendations? Which has the shortest recovery?

Thanks to you all who post here.
Go to Top of Page

Brigid

68 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  16:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't used Cymillium. For Petty Spurge you don't cut the main stem, you snip the little stems the leaves grow out of. Or you can snip a bigger branch if you have them---not likely on a 5" plant. Most people find 1 drop per spot is enough, once or possibly 2X a day for several days or up to a week. So you probably have enough leaves. I use the smooth tip of a metal nail file to get the bead of sap off the plant and onto my face. Recovery time depends on how long you treat it. Looking at some of the photos people have posted will give you an idea. I think it was a couple of weeks until the scabs fell off but more like a month until it looked pink but mostly normal.
Go to Top of Page

jazzplayer

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  15:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm new here. I bought a petty spurge plant on ebay and it was just big enough to treat a very small spot on my face.. and it did work well. I have a spot on the left side of my face about the size of a dime. I really need to treat this quickly. I have some seeds but fear it will take to long to grow and use. Is there "anywhere at all" that I could buy and get shipped to South Texas ASAP? I just need to buy a bigger plant if anyone has one since the ones from Ebay are so small and don't survive the trip well. I feel a large plant will stand a chance. Please help!!

Mike

Edited by - jazzplayer on 06/29/2012 15:38:37
Go to Top of Page

jimbob68

0 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  12:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I found this site researching a nail fungus I have. I have been glued reading everything. I have 'spots' also, small ones, but never dx. I studied photos from links and believe I have bcc's. I ordered some seeds from Au., couldn't find them on ebay. As I wait for them, I am doing the vit c treatment and will document it.

The fungus connection is very interesting! My toenail fungus started right after a trauma to my foot-an elderly man ran it over w/his lark scooter. The 'spots' appeared after a bad sunburn. I believe that stress/trauma can make these appear.

I am so very happy I found this place. Dr. I SlashForCash probably isn't though;)
Go to Top of Page

DaveW

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  17:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
Interesting reading here. I've ordered some seeds from Beautanicals,but was curious if there was anyone in the Houston area that might have had luck growing the plants here. In looking through the thread it seemed there might be some folks locally. Any tips for dealing with our weather here would be appreciated, since it looks like I'm trying to get started at just the wrong time :)
Otherwise, figure I might give this a shot versus rushing to the knife as recommended by the local dermatologist for a nickel sized superficial ulcerated BCC on the shoulder.
Regards,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

thanks01

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  16:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Checking in again after some absence. Naturally, went to my favorite thread - Petty Spurge. I am currently using it for a spot on my chest which developed since my last posting, so I'll try to come back with a progress report.
My comments to those trying to grow PS: Remember - COOL, DAMP, Mostly SHADY. I have managed to get a little self-seeding "perennial" plot in a shady spot, which returned this spring. It almost did not die out, until we got the last frosts. Also, if you grow it inside, study the shelf or surface around the pot. If you refrain from dusting, you will find the ejected seeds there. My original seeds came from Australia and I live in New England.
Go to Top of Page

evienyc

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  15:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,
I want to share my story in case it's helpful. I had a recurring BCC on the side of my nose. It was first biopsied in 2007 by a plastic surgeon who got "clear margins". Over the past few years, what I at first thought was a little scar tissue, turned out to be the bcc that had grown back. In April, after he did a biopsy, my dermatologist recommended Mohs. I didn't want to because I had seen a woman who was disfigured by Mohs. My research led me to this website and I grew a Petty Spurge plant. I used the sap for about 9 days at which point a scab had formed and did not seem to be getting bigger. After the scab fell off, I could see that the bcc was still there. I did another round of alternating Petty Spurge and Cymillium until the scab seemed to be done growing. After it fell off, I saw that not only was the bcc still there, but it was growing tentacles. There are different kinds of bccs and apparently mine was the kind that looks whitish on the surface, like a scar, but grows underneath. Somewhere I read that there's a faster rate of growth on some kinds of bccs when they've been disrupted by biopsies. I didn't want to risk it getting any larger while trying other remedies people speak about on this website, so last week I went in for mohs surgery. So far it looks like the scar will heal well and be unnoticeable...
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Fecteau

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  20:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've actually not heard of the petty spurge not working where Mohs did. Seeds were legitimate Euphorbia Peplus and not something close like Peplis?

Alexis Fecteau
Go to Top of Page

anivoc

639 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  10:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by evienyc

I didn't want to risk it getting any larger while trying other remedies people speak about on this website, so last week I went in for mohs surgery.



It is a shame that Petty spurge did not work...To clarify you mention that the first biopsy the derm saw clean margins...The only way to know if they were clean is if he looked at them under a microscope which IS what they do in mohs surgery. That's the catch...With Mohs or with the alternatives...there are no guarantees only improved chances. I've had both Mohs and alternative removals reoccur and I have alternative and traditional removals that were permanently successful..at least 10 years so far permanent anyway..

Here's a link to a good site on the various types of BCC..
http://dermnetnz.org/lesions/basal-cell-carcinoma.html
Hope the best of results on the outcome of your latest surgery.

Edited by - anivoc on 08/26/2012 13:46:30
Go to Top of Page

dolfan

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  19:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my seeds today. Boy are they small.
Go to Top of Page

DaveW

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  21:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
Just checking to see if anyone might have some PS they are will to part with. I ordered up the seeds from Beautanicals and planted them in a seed starter tray. Now several weeks later I have three spindly things that are about the size of a heavy sewing needle that just won't grow any more. I tried picking up an aerogarden to see if that would work to get them going and no luck there. I've got them growing inside to avoid the Texas heat, but something just isn't working for them.
So, I figured I would ask if anyone has some PS they would be willing to part with? I can send a check for shipping or if you happen to be anywhere close to Houston, I would be happy to head your way. I don't know if folks have had any luck shipping the PS?
Anyhow, figured I would ask. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Brigid

68 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  22:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give them more time---a couple of months to get big enough to transplant. Keep them in an air conditioned room, as cool as possible, not right in front of the AC. Soil: 1/3 topsoil, 1/3 sand, 1/3 vermiculite mixed all together. Light: a bright north or east facing window is enough. South or West windows is too much sun at this point. Water very sparingly or just mist until they're bigger. They don't like damp feet.

quote:
Originally posted by DaveW

Hi all,
Just checking to see if anyone might have some PS they are will to part with. I ordered up the seeds from Beautanicals and planted them in a seed starter tray. Now several weeks later I have three spindly things that are about the size of a heavy sewing needle that just won't grow any more. I tried picking up an aerogarden to see if that would work to get them going and no luck there. I've got them growing inside to avoid the Texas heat, but something just isn't working for them.
So, I figured I would ask if anyone has some PS they would be willing to part with? I can send a check for shipping or if you happen to be anywhere close to Houston, I would be happy to head your way. I don't know if folks have had any luck shipping the PS?
Anyhow, figured I would ask. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Dave

Go to Top of Page

DaveW

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  05:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brigid, thanks for the suggestions on growing them. I'll try it with some of the remaining seeds. I was hoping to track down a source in part due to the timing. Unfortunately we've hit our deductible this year with some issues with my wife's health, so the surgical option to remove the superficial BCC wouldn't run nearly so much. I'd rather give this a shot before going under the knife, but need to give the process time to work and still have time to schedule a surgery if it doesn't. So, if someone had a plant they were willing to part with, it would let me try this first :)
Regards,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

willwill

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  17:32:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been following this thread for quite some time and wanted to share my experience, perhaps it can be of some help to someone.

I am 60 years old and have pretty badly sun damaged skin. I have had some very severe sunburns. I've been having bcc's removed since I was 30, probably 15-20. I also have large numbers of actenic keratoses on my face, especially on my forehead & nose. Years ago I went through treatment with Efudex. It did a pretty good job, especially on my forehead, but it was torture. After a while I couldn't take it anymore.

The last time I was diagnosed with bcc,about ten years ago, the doctors insisted I undergo MOHS surgery. They cut off a good sized chunk of my nose. When they took off the bandages, I almost died. It was completely disfiguring. Fortunately I still had insurance which covered reconstructive surgery, but it still left a pretty ugly scar.

For the past few years the actenic keratosis has been appearing again, most notably on my nose. At the site of the MOHS, there was a spot that wouldn't heal, it would just bleed spontaneously. I didn't get it diagnosed, but I've had enough experience to know that it was probably a bcc.

I no longer have insurance and cannot afford to go to the doctor, much less surgery. After hearing about a new "wonder" drug for sun damaged skin, I investigated and wound up here. I was unable to obtain any plants, so I got the seeds from Beautnicals.

I got one of those seed starter kits from Home Depot. All the seeds I planted germinated, but they are very delicate and only three survived. It took all summer to get them to a usable size. They now seem to have reseeded themselves and there are quite a few seedlings growing in the bottom of the pots.

When you cut off the leaf from the stem, there is the tiniest little bead of sap. I collected it, as another contributor suggested, with the point of an artist's brush and applied it to the spots.

Over the course of the next few days the treated areas blistered up, kind of like sunburn. The site of the previous MOHS reacted the most violently. It wasn't really painful, just kind of irritated. A few days after, everything scabbed over.

Today, after about three weeks, the last of the scabs came off. It's all gone. At the site of the suspected bcc, there is a bit of a crater, but it seems as if it will fill in. Needless to say, I'm elated.

When I think about how hard I fought against having the MOHS (and how hard the doctors fought FOR it), it makes me sort of angry. Out of all the cancers I've had removed, this is the only one that returned.
And the idea that someone can buy the rights to something that grows wild, make it illegal for anyone else to have it and then charge $800.00 a dose is obscene.

I think we've all been conditioned to the idea that the mainstream medical community is always right and has nothing but our best interests at heart. I'm not saying that they don't, but stuff like this makes you wonder sometimes.





Go to Top of Page

Thomas Haugen

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  23:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, is anyone desperate enough to try the technique of mashing the leaves in order to get the sap? (Read old posts in this thread for the technique.) I have small (6" high) plants with developed seeds in Spokane, WA and will overnight mail the newly pulled plant to you via USPS fast mail (you choose and pay the cost.) Sap from these plants works right after they're pulled, I know. I dunno if sap exudes freely from the plant after it has been uprooted, soil washed off the roots and put in a plastic bag to travel. You do the research on it and assume all the risks. I'm the Good Samaritan, don't blame me if this doesn't work.

I have had an eBay feedback rating of 100% since 1998 and will accept Paypal or USPS money order for the postage plus nominal packing/handling. In exchange you get a formerly live plant with developed seeds and you agree to share your experience with this forum. At the worst you should be able to plant the seeds and grow your own.

I also hope to soon have seeds to send to those who need them.

Tom
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Skin Cancer Forum © 2013 www.topicalinfo.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

Disclaimer: The three most common types of skin cancer are basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma. While melanoma is the most dangerous type, keep in mind that any cancer and potentially some cancer treatments can cause injury or death. The various views expressed in these public forums should not be considered as medical advice. See your qualified health-care professional for medical attention, advice, diagnosis, and treatments.