Skin Cancer Forum
Skin Cancer Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Skin Cancer Forums at Topicalinfo.org
 Skin cancer topical treatments
 Petty Spurge Herb sap for skin cancers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

bright1

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  03:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I wanted to come back here a year after successful treatment of a bcc on my face to say how grateful I am to the many posters on this thread. Your shared experiences gave me such great courage at a time when I felt terribly alone and scared. I have as yet had no re-occurrence of the bcc and my dermatologist was pretty confident that it had been completely excised by the petty spurge applications. I now have a permanent (slight and irregular shaped)depression in my skin leading away from the original site of the nodule right across my cheek just under my cheek bone about three inches long. I believe this was the extent of the cancer as it was the area that 'lit up' a bright beetroot red with the original application. I am so happy to have found petty spurge which is now allowed to grow wantonly in my garden and which I address lovingly every time I see a new seedling appear. Thanks again to everyone who responded to my original mail and to all who have experimented with PS and added their success stories for others to benefit. God bless.
Go to Top of Page

anivoc

640 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  08:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom I am finding this stuff growing all over the San Gabriel Valley and saw some down in Encinitas last week. I had several nice ones growing in a patch behind my garage but too direct exposure to sun so summer killed them..

Yesterday I was across the street talking to my neighbor and there several growing in his front yard planter.

Point being for us here in Cali the gettin is good all over the place.

To date only the sap has been used as a treatment..I am curious/ suspect there may be other ways to get the active ingredient out of the plant.. certainly if the plant dies the active ingredient is still in the plant...( maybe the ingredient becomes ineffective by I doubt it) just my thoughts on it. I have a dozen or so dried up plants in the back yard to experiment with...

At this time I am trying a few other protocols ( vitamin c) ( the caffeine and red clover mix that a poster spoke of having remakable results with)...for me...so far.. not near the good results of petty spurge or blood root paste

Edited by - anivoc on 10/05/2012 12:19:50
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Haugen

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  09:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anivoc, I too found this weed growing without care and just a little water now and then, plus part sun and afternoon shade. In Spokane, WA. The most mature plants are turning yellow and finally have started throwing seeds. Since there is plenty I am offering still green plants to registered users of this site, paying it forward.

I'm not certain about collecting seeds, will know soon if my seed collecting method is working. I don't quite understand why people have to order seeds from Australia when the seeds are readily available for collecting here in The US.

An anonymous person in Florida sent me seeds but I had the usual problems germinating and growing up the seedlings. Finally got one mature plant.
Go to Top of Page

anivoc

640 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  09:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bright1...what an awesome report back..

Don't know if you did but Pictures are SOOOOO helpful in giving others coming here the proof and thus the courage to try something other than what their doctors will tell them to do..I am noticing more derms are coming to be more open to other methods but there are still many that will actually use scare tactics (Very possibly in sincere concern that you would be making a mistake using these alternative) to get you not to try these other ways to treat.

I know it's weird putting pictures of an ugly wound on your face on the internet..If it wasn't for the brave people before me, I probably would have never tried the bloodroot paste that I used. Because of that I took pictures and posted mine and have been thanked hundreds of times since for doing so.

If you did take pictures post them..
Go to Top of Page

bright1

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  10:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anivoc, sorry I didn't take any pictures. I wish I had now but at the time I was too scared to even look in the mirror much less commit what I saw to permanent record. It looked horrific but fortunately I was treating in the summer and a pair of oversized sunglasses covered it nicely.
Go to Top of Page

BBirdz

10 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  15:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't posted in a while- been taking a break after unsuccessfully treating with petty spurge two times. I now have a window to try again with either PS (or Vit. C ) and wondered if I could get some feedback from those with experience with PS.

I started with a small raised bump, just above and touching the edge of my lip. It bled a couple times when washing my face so I was pretty sure it was basel cell though never biopsied. I originally treated it a year ago this past August with PS for 3 days. It seemed to go textbook, excavating a small hole which I then let heal, eventually leaving a flat pink, then white scar that was bigger than the original lesion.

However within months it began to grow a raised surface again. So I treated again this past February. This time I was much more aggressive and went a full 10 days, one or two applications a day. Again, I left the area covered with a bandaid during treatment so it never developed a scab. There was a huge reaction like last time but covering an even bigger area into my lip, with more pus and draining. However, it never seemed to go very deep. After 10 days I let the spot heal over and scab. But when the scab fell off, unlike last time, the bump was still there, unchanged. Since then it is slowly growing but is no larger than the first time I treated-about 3mm. I saw my dermatologist in July and he thinks it's a basel cell and wants to biopsy it in December if it gets larger. (I was glad but surprised as all my other derms have been extremely aggressive and would have done it right then.)

So my questions are:
Has anyone else had PS not work in this way?
I was having other health issues and recovering from surgery the last time which may have affected my immune system. Could this have been the problem?
Should I have left the wound uncovered during treatment? (like the instructions are with Picata?) I'm squeemish about removing scabs during treatment so that's why I went the other route.
Any other ideas or input welcome. I don't have a lot of time to try both PS and Vit. C and I don't know if trying the PS again makes sense. I have also considered bloodroot but I'm scared about trying that for the first time on my face, so close to the lip. I'm worried that this may have spread deeper or into my lip after all this time and I've not found much info about lip tissue being treated with either PS or black salve.
THANKS for any insights anyone can offer!!!
Go to Top of Page

dolfan

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  18:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just used PS for the first time and had the same reaction as BBirdz. The bump was like a pimple and stung when I put orange oil on it, so I assumed that it was a new BC. In the middle of the night, the pain and pus that was coming out woke me up. The next day the pus continued and now I'm afraid to put any more on it. I don't know what to do now, the spot has doubled in size and has a small blister it the middle of it. I need advice also
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Haugen

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  21:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently used PS for the first time with a similar reaction. I do not have to appear in public so appearance was not a concern. Even so, it was difficult to clean off the wounds every day and re-apply the PS once a day. I did so for 3 days and got good results. My face was a mess with the wounds, redness and swelling but it killed all but my oldest BCs, some being 20 years old. I believe I might have gotten complete results if I had re-applied twice a day to the open wounds as others have recommended.

I plan to do another course of PS twice a day for 3 days on the remaining BCs.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Jilly

5 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  23:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

What I did was apply once a day in the morning and leave on until the night. I did NOT sleep with it on for fear it may rub off in my eyes. After the 4th day the immuno response kicked in. I of course thought I had a massive infection. The pain was an intense throbbing which I took as my signal to stop applying. It was just too painful. I was also pretty freaked out that I thought it might be infected so I applied antibiotic ointment and burn cream (for 2nd degree burns silverdeen or something like that) at night. It cleared up pretty quick. I then did reapplications every six weeks for a total of 3 or 4 more times following the same protocol. On the 4th day of applying the PS the tumor did fall off leaving a oozing large area which I thought to be infected though it wasnt. Hope that helps.
quote:
Originally posted by dolfan

I just used PS for the first time and had the same reaction as BBirdz. The bump was like a pimple and stung when I put orange oil on it, so I assumed that it was a new BC. In the middle of the night, the pain and pus that was coming out woke me up. The next day the pus continued and now I'm afraid to put any more on it. I don't know what to do now, the spot has doubled in size and has a small blister it the middle of it. I need advice also

Go to Top of Page

sunni

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  06:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Haugen

I also hope to soon have seeds to send to those who need them.

Tom



Hi Tom,
How can I contact you about the seeds?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Jilly

5 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  13:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I have seeds if you need them.

Cheers,

Jilly
quote:
Originally posted by sunni

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Haugen

I also hope to soon have seeds to send to those who need them.

Tom



Hi Tom,
How can I contact you about the seeds?

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Mr Pig

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2012 :  16:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI there, I just wanted to tell you my story, I have a BCC that I have had on my nose for many years approx 15 had it looked at by several DRs, as it kept scabbing up not that you could ever see it much as it was kind of clear and flaky and would leave a very small red pin dot when it came off, But the Drs never told me it was a BCC It was my reasearch. Anyway I tried the PS and straight away it reddend up like sunburn I applied it x2 a day for 3 - 4 days and it scabbed up and eventually came off, ( hated going to work like that lol) and hey it went for the first time in many years went for about two months and now its come back so I am now trying round two. I welcome your comments. :)
Go to Top of Page

Mr Pig

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2012 :  16:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way It grows like a weed here, very easy to find.
Go to Top of Page

rhall85286

2 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  22:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janagain

I wanted to give my take on growing Petty Spurge, as some have indicated trouble getting it to germinate/grow. I initially got some seeds from a very nice person on this site and couldn't get them to germinate at all. So I bought them from the Aussie website. I live in the Phoenix area where it is very hot in the summer. I have a north facing patio where I started the seeds last summer when it was VERY hot--over 110 degrees for weeks. The seeds came up, I watered them daily and with some benign neglect they prospered. I haven't had a bcc to use them on, but offered to try to get rid of a wart on the toe of a friend which was the size of a small pea! He had this growth for years. After three or four applications he went for a pedicure and when it was rubbed with a file, the wart completely fell off. Gone! The plants continue to thrive with little care, even though the temperatures are now in the 30s and my patio is getting no direct sunlight at all. So, the PS seems to grow with little effort in hot, cold, sunny, shady climate. The one thing I do is make sure the soil never completely dries out, and I amended the soil with the granule things that hold water. After six months, I have yet to see any flowers or seeds and am wondering why not....? I do not have a green thumb yet am living proof the PS can be grown with little effort.

Go to Top of Page

rhall85286

2 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  22:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to know who in the Phoenix area is growing the Petty Spurge plant. I contacted the AZ extension service at the UofA but they have little or no experience with this weed. Is there a source of this plant in Arizona?
Go to Top of Page

LindsayLondon

5 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  08:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I'm so encouraged to read about petty splurge. I've got a suspected bcc that's been there for over ten years, so surgery would be hideous. Consequently I want to try this first.
However, I'm in London and I can't find anyone in the Uk who sells the plant or the seeds. I know it's a common weed but I don't trust myself to just go out and identify it (plus I live in London, limited green spaces.)
Can someone help me please? I'd be so grateful. Is there anyone in the Uk who could mail me some seeds? I'd pay for the postage and be so so grateful!
Go to Top of Page

LindsayLondon

5 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  07:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again.
So I'm scheduled for a biopsy on my chin for suspected bcc on the 5th. I'm so sure that it's bcc that I'm almost reluctant to go, as I'm collecting a petty spurge off a gardener friend on Friday and I'm tempted to just start treating it.
But I imagine this is the right thing to do, to get absolute confirmation from the doctors first?
Any opinions from those who have had biopsies? Has anyone just started treating without a biopsy?
Many thanks,
Lindsay
Go to Top of Page

LindsayLondon

5 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  07:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, I'm based in London, so if there are any UK sufferers who need help getting seeds, I should be able to help soon. I get my plant on Friday from my gardener friend, and assuming my non-green fingers don't kill it too quickly, I' will see what I can do with regards to harvesting seeds. This forum has certainly reassured me a lot, and am happy to help others.
Go to Top of Page

llfrog

1 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  21:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mike,
I know it has been a long time since you posted the offer for the seeds. If you still have some please let me know. I would like to get some from you. I live in East Tenn. So you can let me know what you have to have for them.
Thanks!
Bobby

My e-mail is b-mp@juno.com (Thanks Again)

quote:
Originally posted by mikE1

Hi All:

Just to update eveyone on my Petty Surge results, my nose and forehead are just about cleared up. If anyone needs seeds, let me know. Also, you who have grown plants to maturity will notice the tiny flowers and seed pods that form. If you will put a large sheet of white cloth or paper under your pot, you can catch the tiny seeds which 'explode' from the pods at muturity. They are about 1/16 to 3/16 inch long, greyish and oblong - like a tiny watermelon. I have to use tweezers to pick them up. They have now seeded the floor of my greenhouse and plants are coming up everywhere. (It turns out this plant is not only a blessing for skin cancer - it's also a pest!)

Go to Top of Page

Brigid

68 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2013 :  07:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBirdz

I haven't posted in a while- been taking a break after unsuccessfully treating with petty spurge two times. I now have a window to try again with either PS (or Vit. C ) and wondered if I could get some feedback from those with experience with PS.

I started with a small raised bump, just above and touching the edge of my lip. It bled a couple times when washing my face so I was pretty sure it was basel cell though never biopsied. I originally treated it a year ago this past August with PS for 3 days. It seemed to go textbook, excavating a small hole which I then let heal, eventually leaving a flat pink, then white scar that was bigger than the original lesion.

However within months it began to grow a raised surface again. So I treated again this past February. This time I was much more aggressive and went a full 10 days, one or two applications a day. Again, I left the area covered with a bandaid during treatment so it never developed a scab. There was a huge reaction like last time but covering an even bigger area into my lip, with more pus and draining. However, it never seemed to go very deep. After 10 days I let the spot heal over and scab. But when the scab fell off, unlike last time, the bump was still there, unchanged. Since then it is slowly growing but is no larger than the first time I treated-about 3mm. I saw my dermatologist in July and he thinks it's a basel cell and wants to biopsy it in December if it gets larger. (I was glad but surprised as all my other derms have been extremely aggressive and would have done it right then.)

So my questions are:
Has anyone else had PS not work in this way?
I was having other health issues and recovering from surgery the last time which may have affected my immune system. Could this have been the problem?
Should I have left the wound uncovered during treatment? (like the instructions are with Picata?) I'm squeemish about removing scabs during treatment so that's why I went the other route.
Any other ideas or input welcome. I don't have a lot of time to try both PS and Vit. C and I don't know if trying the PS again makes sense. I have also considered bloodroot but I'm scared about trying that for the first time on my face, so close to the lip. I'm worried that this may have spread deeper or into my lip after all this time and I've not found much info about lip tissue being treated with either PS or black salve.
THANKS for any insights anyone can offer!!!

Go to Top of Page

Brigid

68 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2013 :  07:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've treated 3 X with PS and have felt a little under the weather each time. Being weak from surgery and then using the PS might have taxed your system--you would have had fewer reserves to throw off the bcc. And I think the type that's called invasive BCC can come back. For that reason, I'm a believer in biopsies, although it may (or may not) be true that biopsies spread the cancer.
I feel sqeamish about pulling scabs off too. Wonder if there's a homeopathic remedy or herb for sqeamishness. Probably! (But many herbs take 6 weeks to work.) Also if you have burning pain from the PS, homeopathic belladonna from a health store helps. Maybe, less pain, less sqeamishness? In my experience so far (diagnosed about 6 years ago) building up immunity has helped to keep the cancer in check. And I apply topical coconut and neem oil when it flares up.





quote:
Originally posted by Brigid

quote:
Originally posted by BBirdz

I haven't posted in a while- been taking a break after unsuccessfully treating with petty spurge two times. I now have a window to try again with either PS (or Vit. C ) and wondered if I could get some feedback from those with experience with PS.

I started with a small raised bump, just above and touching the edge of my lip. It bled a couple times when washing my face so I was pretty sure it was basel cell though never biopsied. I originally treated it a year ago this past August with PS for 3 days. It seemed to go textbook, excavating a small hole which I then let heal, eventually leaving a flat pink, then white scar that was bigger than the original lesion.

However within months it began to grow a raised surface again. So I treated again this past February. This time I was much more aggressive and went a full 10 days, one or two applications a day. Again, I left the area covered with a bandaid during treatment so it never developed a scab. There was a huge reaction like last time but covering an even bigger area into my lip, with more pus and draining. However, it never seemed to go very deep. After 10 days I let the spot heal over and scab. But when the scab fell off, unlike last time, the bump was still there, unchanged. Since then it is slowly growing but is no larger than the first time I treated-about 3mm. I saw my dermatologist in July and he thinks it's a basel cell and wants to biopsy it in December if it gets larger. (I was glad but surprised as all my other derms have been extremely aggressive and would have done it right then.)

So my questions are:
Has anyone else had PS not work in this way?
I was having other health issues and recovering from surgery the last time which may have affected my immune system. Could this have been the problem?
Should I have left the wound uncovered during treatment? (like the instructions are with Picata?) I'm squeemish about removing scabs during treatment so that's why I went the other route.
Any other ideas or input welcome. I don't have a lot of time to try both PS and Vit. C and I don't know if trying the PS again makes sense. I have also considered bloodroot but I'm scared about trying that for the first time on my face, so close to the lip. I'm worried that this may have spread deeper or into my lip after all this time and I've not found much info about lip tissue being treated with either PS or black salve.
THANKS for any insights anyone can offer!!!



Go to Top of Page

susanc

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  00:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to say that I got some seeds, grew the seeds into plants, and I made my first application to a biopsied BCC that was returning after surgery.
_____________________
cancer tissues

Edited by - susanc on 03/12/2013 00:58:48
Go to Top of Page

LindsayLondon

5 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  08:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello. Writing to update on my progress.
My petty spurge plants are very small at the moment. I got a bit impatient so crushed up a vt C tablet and applied to my chin where the bcc is. The bcc is superficial, flaky and never-healing and about 9mm by 2mm.
Anyway, the next day it had turned black, was about 20% larger than before, weeping liquid that was a bit black/red, my chin had swollen up, and my left 'jowl' had swollen too. The swelling had even pushed my lower lip up on one side, so that i looked a bit fed up (which was pretty accurate.) The gland under my chin was sore as well.
I got most of the black off my chin, which wasn't easy because it was flush with my face, it wasn't sticking out like a scab. I put vt C on again and it stung like mad and turned black again.
So then I decided to use my tiny petty spurge plants, as the stinging and ever-growing black area was getting alarming and I thought petty spurge might sting less.
The area was now about as big as a ten pence piece (about 2cm diameter) and the inflammation was very circular, although the black area was more raggedy shaped amd ovoid. I got off as much of the black as possible (which wasn't at all like a scab, as what I pulled off felt like slightly harder skin, sort of like toughened elastic, so I believe it was necrotic flesh), and I applied a tiny amount of petty spurge sap. Literally the size of about four pin-heads of sap. I then put the leaves on the wound and a bandage over the top. At this point, I was still swollen, and the area was tender and weeping.
So, the petty spurge certainly didn't hurt, not like the vit C. When I took the bandage off the next day, the top half of the circle had turned white and was very wet looking. The lower area was scabbed, like a normal wound.
i pulled off the scab and the white area was attached, so that came with it. This was a bit sore, amd a couple of small areas bled slightly. the flesh underneath is pink raw with loads of little white heads visible. Absolutely loads of them, covering almost the whole of the 10 pence piece sized area. Does anyone know what these are?
The raw area has a couple of slight dents where it looks like the vit C / sap has eaten away, but at the moment it's not very deep. I'm surprised, as my bcc is over ten years old. I applied more tiny amounts of sap and covered with a bandaid.
I'm halfway through day 4 of treatment (2 days of vit C, two days of sap), so I wonder if it'll go deeper.

Can anyone give me their opinion on the white dots, and why there are so many of them? Also any advice on what I can expect next?

Thanks everyone, this forum has been a godsend.
Go to Top of Page

ruby

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  16:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My diagnosed basal cell looked like white dots when I took the scab off.
So its one good guess that you are seeing the BCC.
When I use orange oil on BCC, it does sting alot and gets very red. I would let it alone for some days before adding another treatment to give it time to do some work.

Also, back a few years, I had a spot on my face biopsied and confirmed as BCC. It started to grow back after the biopsy and got raised and pearl- like, so I hit it with Petty Spurge which made it go away- now going on 2.5 years. I mentioned to another dermatologist that I had some BCC but did a natural treatment. He pressed me on what I did and I finally told him about the Petty Spurge. He insisted that it was the biopsy that got rid of it. I just didn't bother to argue.
Go to Top of Page

LindsayLondon

5 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  03:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick reply Ruby. Where was your bcc? How long did it take fr the white dots to disappear?
I just wondered if they might be pores that get filled with pjs because of the healing process. But you think it's the bcc itself? Should I pick them out, do you think?
Go to Top of Page

ruby

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  11:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I understand, those white dots are the bcc itself. Not filled pores. The bcc has roots, so you are just seeing the visible top part. The oetty spurge will aim to follow the bcc all the way down. I didn't get all of mine on the first round of treatment, But its OK to wait a while and try again (meaning if you see something growing back). Or as this forum has educated me, you can apply orange oil and the skin will light up showing the white areas where there is bcc present.
I really wouldn't pick at anything there.
Go to Top of Page

kate

1 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  06:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI. HAVING READ THE FORUM i DECIDED TO HAVE A GO TREATING A SMALL PATCH OF SUPERFICIAL BCC ON MY LOWER LEG. I TREATED IT WITH SAP FOR 3 DAYS. LEAVING IT UNCOVERED (BUT WAS WEARING TROUSERS). THE AREA BECAME RED BUT WAS NOT NOTICEABLY PAINFUL. IT DID NOT BLISTER OR BLEED OR SEEM TO REACT VERY STRONGLY. A VERY LIGHT SCAB THEN FORMED OVER THE AREA. 3 WEEKS LATER THE SCAB HAS COME AWAY BY THE LOOK OF IT, EXPOSING PINK SKIN UNDERNEATH THAT LOOKS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME AS THE SPOT BEFORE APPLYING THE SAP. ANY SUGGESTIONS? SHOULD I WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS? DO PEOPLE RE APPLY SAP TO THE SAME SPOT TWICE IF IT DOESNT WORK FIRST TIME? TRY A PLANT FROM ANOTHER AREA? OR GO TELL DOC THE STORY AND SEE WHAT THEY OFFER (I TURNED DOWN THE CHEMO BREAM OFFERED HAVING READ HORROR STORIES ON THE INTERNET ABOUT IT) I LIVE IN THE UK BUT INFACT USED SAP FROM A PLANT IN SPAIN WHILE ON A TRIP THERE. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY ADVICE / SUGGESTIONS!
Go to Top of Page

Brigid

68 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  06:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also treated a spot on my leg. In the morning applied the sap by cutting a leaf right at the tiny stem that joins it to a small branch. I put that on the tip of a metal nail file and applied it to the leg. Then because trousers would have rubbed away and absorbed the sap that I want to stay on, I covered it with a bit of gauze and tape until the evening, then applied sap again and covered it again for the night. After about a week of this, the spot was gone and never came back. It took months for the pink skin to become the same color as the rest of my leg. Bt it did. You can re-apply the sap again, but I like to wait til the skin is healed to re-apply.


quote:
Originally posted by kate

HI. HAVING READ THE FORUM i DECIDED TO HAVE A GO TREATING A SMALL PATCH OF SUPERFICIAL BCC ON MY LOWER LEG. I TREATED IT WITH SAP FOR 3 DAYS. LEAVING IT UNCOVERED (BUT WAS WEARING TROUSERS). THE AREA BECAME RED BUT WAS NOT NOTICEABLY PAINFUL. IT DID NOT BLISTER OR BLEED OR SEEM TO REACT VERY STRONGLY. A VERY LIGHT SCAB THEN FORMED OVER THE AREA. 3 WEEKS LATER THE SCAB HAS COME AWAY BY THE LOOK OF IT, EXPOSING PINK SKIN UNDERNEATH THAT LOOKS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME AS THE SPOT BEFORE APPLYING THE SAP. ANY SUGGESTIONS? SHOULD I WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS? DO PEOPLE RE APPLY SAP TO THE SAME SPOT TWICE IF IT DOESNT WORK FIRST TIME? TRY A PLANT FROM ANOTHER AREA? OR GO TELL DOC THE STORY AND SEE WHAT THEY OFFER (I TURNED DOWN THE CHEMO BREAM OFFERED HAVING READ HORROR STORIES ON THE INTERNET ABOUT IT) I LIVE IN THE UK BUT INFACT USED SAP FROM A PLANT IN SPAIN WHILE ON A TRIP THERE. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY ADVICE / SUGGESTIONS!

Go to Top of Page

mrosen

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  22:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by susanc

I would like to say that I got some seeds, grew the seeds into plants, and I made my first application to a biopsied BCC that was returning after surgery.
_____________________
cancer tissues

Go to Top of Page

mrosen

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  22:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by susanc

I would like to say that I got some seeds, grew the seeds into plants, and I made my first application to a biopsied BCC that was returning after surgery.
_____________________
cancer tissues

Go to Top of Page

mrosen

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  22:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Susan ...I am a new member and am grateful for all the info from so many people... I am dealing with Hypertrophic actinic keratosis and what looks like BCC (according to the derm doc)right next to my nose left side. Doc wants Mohs...not being a big surgery fan. And i dont see how they could find any borders without chopping into my nose..After reading postings on PS i ordered seeds but am concerened about the time frame to grow(no green thumb)plus i live in maryland which is headed for warm humid weather. It sounds like u got your seeds and things went smoothly. Did u get seeds from australia? Also,what part of the country do u live in(climate)did u grow indoors? Hows treatment going now? Thanks for any input its appreciated ...Mark
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Haugen

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  23:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, better than growing to look for weeds that will be growing in your neighborhood, wet shady areas more likely. I can send you some seeds from USA but it takes months for them to germinate and grow, maybe September before you can pick off them.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

mrosen

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  07:21:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your response Tom and thank u for all the great info u have shared!! I went to the local big plant garden shop (with pics and info)to see if anyone was familiar with PS,and no luck...also spent some time calling around here.Not sure i will find any around here but will look today...Under some pressure from family to move forward (MOHS)as this has been going on for awhile... BE BACK LATER have to go now....THANKS again for your input....Mark
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Haugen

Mark, better than growing to look for weeds that will be growing in your neighborhood, wet shady areas more likely. I can send you some seeds from USA but it takes months for them to germinate and grow, maybe September before you can pick off them.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

mrosen

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  14:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
xxxxxx
Go to Top of Page

mrosen

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  15:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got call from Derm and the biopsy is BCC...Guess i already new that but am still very upset. Its kind of ironic he called while i was out driving around everywhere looking for Petty Spurge. He said he is sending my file over to the MOHS clinic he recommended and wants me to call his office bk to confirm when my app. is. When he did the biopsy He told me if it came bk BCC i needed to get MOHS...Little history here: He biopsied this spot 2yrs ago which indicated Hypertrophic Actinic Keratosis(i was told a very deep keratosis/now i think there must have been BCC there also)and wanted to try MOHS or topical chemo cremes(i was afraid of the possible systemic issues)..I told him i was trying Curaderm(he wasnt interested).Did Curaderm for several weeks 8-12..This is a really hard place to treat(right up against my nose/left side around nostrel) with creme/tape...Thought i had cleared the area(obviously not). Anyway, can talk about BEC5 later...Sorry i am rambling here...guess i am venting or just upset...Pretty sure this Derm wont see me anymore if i dont follow his recommendations.In the recent past i lost both partents(not cancer related).But in the last few years 2 sisters and one brother got cancer(one terminal)none were skin cancers...I guess this is why i am getting extra pressure from family...I need to find a faster way to get PS?
Go to Top of Page

TIsmalltown

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  15:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there no one in Maryland who can connect with you mrosen?

I looked all over for petty spurge and literally found it growing in my backyard a few years ago ... I am in upstate NY. But I think it is too early for it to grow here. I am guessing another month or so, it's a very tender plant.
Go to Top of Page

mrosen

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  15:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did u use any plants u found to treat(BCCorSCC,Keratosis)and were u succesful.. I do need to do some more looking on this site to see if there is anyone relativily close that might have many plants? Thanks for your thoughts...Mark
quote:
Originally posted by TIsmalltown

Is there no one in Maryland who can connect with you mrosen?

I looked all over for petty spurge and literally found it growing in my backyard a few years ago ... I am in upstate NY. But I think it is too early for it to grow here. I am guessing another month or so, it's a very tender plant.

Go to Top of Page

willwill

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  17:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have petty spurge plants and seedlings. I wintered them over in a terrarium and they have reseeded themselves like crazy.
As soon as the weather warms a bit I will be giving them their own raised bed garden.

I live about 20 miles north of NYC. Please contact me if you need some, I am happy to share, free of charge. (I am fond of all things Irish, Guinness, Jamesons, etc, hint hint).
Go to Top of Page

mrosen

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  19:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, WillWill i sent some info and my contact info thru your email address...Mark
quote:
Originally posted by willwill

I have petty spurge plants and seedlings. I wintered them over in a terrarium and they have reseeded themselves like crazy.
As soon as the weather warms a bit I will be giving them their own raised bed garden.

I live about 20 miles north of NYC. Please contact me if you need some, I am happy to share, free of charge. (I am fond of all things Irish, Guinness, Jamesons, etc, hint hint).

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Haugen

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  23:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willwill, please let us know your results with transplanting. I have a theory that cultivated (non-wild) plants don't like to be transplanted so that may be the reason they often languish at about 2" to 4" tall for many months. I'm starting my seeds in 10" tall pots so they won't need to be transplanted or disturbed.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

willwill

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  03:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willwill, please let us know your results with transplanting. I have a theory that cultivated (non-wild) plants don't like to be transplanted so that may be the reason they often languish at about 2" to 4" tall for many months. I'm starting my seeds in 10" tall pots so they won't need to be transplanted or disturbed.


Hmmm, hadn't heard that before. That would be a shame, I have hundreds of them. Will post transplanting results.
Go to Top of Page

mrosen

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  12:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know of anyone who was biopsied and diagnosed with BCC then treated with Petty Spurge (PS)and biopsied to check results?
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Haugen

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  21:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, not me, but think about it. Maybe your doc has a better method to biopsy, but several of mine have done biopsies, mostly by surgically removing tissue (is that a duh?) Therefore, if the petty spurge works and your skin heals up with only a red area and maybe a minor depression where the cancer cells died, why would you let a doctor cut up that area to see if anything remains? I got rid of several lesions with spurge and seven months later the skin is like it never happened, a doc would have a hard time telling that anything was there. So a doc would have no indications to warrant a biopsy.
Go to Top of Page

mrosen

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  11:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dfi...if your still out can u update us your treatment areas as more time has past...Thanks Mark
quote:
Originally posted by dfi

News flash!!! LEO Pharma which acquired Peplin Biotech several months ago has just obtained FDA approval to market a new product called Picato. The active ingredient in this product is Ingenol Mebutate which is the same ingredient found in the sap of the petty spurge weed. The product should be out by late March. Unfortunately, they only got approval of the product as a quick and effective treatment for actinic keratosis and not for superficial basal cell or squamous cell skin cancers for which we all know petty spurge successfully treats as well. Picato comes in two strengths 0.015% Ingenol Mebutate for facial application and 0.05% for other body areas. Time will tell to see if any brave dermatologists will write prescriptions for the higher strength Picato and tell their patients to try it on their facial basal or squamous cell cancers. At the very least the FDA approval is a start and it validates the effectiveness that most people in this forum (including myself) have experienced using the sap from the Petty Spurge weed. Here is the link to the announcement:

http://www.biospace.com/news_story.aspx?StoryID=247271&full=1

Thanks to this forum and especially the entries by SoFl and Waverider for giving me the courage and knowledge to try the sap from the Petty Spurge weed which I serendipitously had been removing from my back yard the day before I discovered the forum. Fortunately, I had not removed all of it and am now treating it like the gold that it is. Starting in March of 2011, I successfully treated both a diagnosed basal cell carcinoma on my forehead and a squamous cell carcinoma on my scalp both of which my doctor wanted to remove via MOHS surgery. Had I had the MOHS surgery on my forehead, it would have easily left a scar the size of a US quarter. Within 4 months of using the petty spurge sap (1 application daily for 3 days on my forehead and 1 application daily for 5 days on my scalp), you could not tell there was ever any cancer. The skin erupted pretty violently in both locations, but now looks and feels completely normal.

Go to Top of Page

mrosen

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  11:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,thanks for response!My question could have been stated diferrently!! As i tried something 2 years ago that didnt work its understandable that i am getting more pressure (wife,family)on the MOHS...Interesting post by JILLY on 2/9/12 about info she got from Australian Doc who was part of Peplin trials... that there are 3 types of Carcinomas that require MOHS where nothing will work. She thinks he said that the BCC subtypes that need to be operated on are Morpheic/Infiltrating and Micronodular,Perineural Invasion? After reading this i called derm bk to get more specific analysis of my BCC biopsy report and they said it just says BCC? He said they will find out and tell me when i have the MOHS? Pretty frustating... Mark

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Haugen

Mark, not me, but think about it. Maybe your doc has a better method to biopsy, but several of mine have done biopsies, mostly by surgically removing tissue (is that a duh?) Therefore, if the petty spurge works and your skin heals up with only a red area and maybe a minor depression where the cancer cells died, why would you let a doctor cut up that area to see if anything remains? I got rid of several lesions with spurge and seven months later the skin is like it never happened, a doc would have a hard time telling that anything was there. So a doc would have no indications to warrant a biopsy.

Go to Top of Page

anivoc

640 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  12:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mrosen,

You bring up a VERY overlooked and important topic....There are many different types of basal cell carcinoma...and that is scary..

I went into this thinking there were three types of skin cancer. This was from my dermatologist years ago...Basal, Squamous and Melanoma with Basal being the least likely to be deadly..Well recently I have been learning there are several different types of Basal Cell Carcinoma...and that probably holds true for Squamous and Melanoma..

After reading your post I did a quick google and came up with this on Basal cell ... There are 12 different types! Yikes... No wonder some of the things that work for some people don't work for others...I have never had a biopsy that detailed what type of basal cell carcinoma I had...I am curious to see what your lab report comes back with...

Basal-Cell Carcinoma:

Typically found on the head, neck, and torso basal-cell carcinomas, small, solid elevations of the skin that grow into eroding, crusting, and bleeding craters, are considered malignant diseases because they can cause significant destruction of affected body parts, especially nerves, disfigurement, and invade surrounding tissues, however, basal-cell carcinomas rarely metastasize or kill the patient, and fair-skinned people with a family history of the disease are at a much higher risk for contracting basal-cell carcinoma than non-fair-skinned people are.

Aberrant Basal-Cell Carcinoma:

Basal-cell carcinoma can be divided into twelve types including Aberrant basal-cell carcinoma, a cutaneous condition that generally occurs in the axilla, armpits, nipples, scrotum, vulva, and perineum, and may lack any apparant carcinogenic factors.

Nodular Basal-Cell Carcinoma:

Nodular basal-cell carcinoma, the Classic example of the disease, is a cutaneous condition that occurs most commonly on the head, neck, and other sun-exposed body areas.

Cystic Basal-Cell Carcinoma:

Cystic basal-cell carcinoma is a cutaneous condition with dome-shaped, blue-gray cystic nodules.

Pore-Like Basal-Cell Carcinoma:

Pore-like basal-cell carcinoma is a cutaneous condition with carcinomas that look like enlarged pores.

Polypoid Basal-Cell Carcinoma:

Polypoid basal-cell carcinoma is a cutaneous condition with polyp-like structures generally found on the head or neck.

Cicatrical Basal-Cell Carcinoma:

Cicatrical basal-cell carcinoma is a cutaneous condition that is aggressive with unique histologic and clinical appearances.

Fibroepithelioma of Pinkus:

Fibroepithelioma of Pinkus is a cutaneous condition commonly found on the patient's lower back.

Infiltrative Basal-Cell Carcinoma:

Infiltrative basal-cell carcinoma is a cutaneous condition with aggressive deep infiltration of tissues.

Rodent Ulcer:

Also known as Jacobi's Ulcer this nodular basal-cell carcinoma is characterized by central necrosis.

Micronodular Basal-Cell Carcinoma:

Micronodular basal-cell carcinoma is a cutaneous condition with micronodular growth patterns.

Pigmented Basal-Cell Carcinoma:

Pigmented basal-cell carcinoma is a cutaneous condition with increased melanization.

Superficial Basal-Cell Carcinoma:

Superficial basal-cell carcinoma is a cutaneous condition with erythematous red patches that commonly occurs on the patient's trunk.

Basal-Cell Carcinoma Groups:

Basal-cell carcinomas can be subdivided into three main groups including Infiltrative Basal-Cell Carcinomas that contain micronodular and morphea forms of the disease, Superficial Basal-Cell Carcinomas that are the only forms of the disease effectively treated with topical chemotherapies, and Nodular Basal-Cell Carcinomas that cover all other forms of the disease and may have multiple morphologic features of many variants of basal-cell carcinomas in the same tumor.

Causes:

Typically presenting as a shiny, pearly nodule, a red patch, thickened skin, or scar tissue basal-cell carcinoma is caused by mutations in the cell's DNA that leads to the formation of molecular lesions known as thymine or cytosine dimers that make skin cells reproduce rapidly and continue growing, instead of being pushed to the surface of the skin by newly formed skin cells, and dying like they normally would. Other possible causes of basal-cell carcinoma include ultraviolet radiation from sunlight or tanning beds, commercial tanning lamps, exposure to various toxic substances, genetic mutations in the protein patched homolog-one gene that inhibits the hedgehog signaling pathway from providing information to embryotic cells on how to properly develop, and Smoothened-G protein-coupled receptor genes that help prevent abnormalities of physiological developments. Additionally, radiation therapy treatments and immune suppression therapies may also cause the disease.

Symptoms:

The symptoms of basal-cell carcinoma may include such things as sores that do not heal or repeatedly bleed, waxy white bumps with blood vessels in or around them, a reddish patch that may itch, hurt, crust, or have no discomfort at all, a smooth elevated growth with a rolled border and an indented center, a pearly, transluscent, red, pink, white, black, brown, or tan nodule, and yellow, white, or waxy scar-like areas on the skin that have poorly defined borders.

Diagnosis:

Basal-cell carcinomas may be diagnosed through such means as a family history of the disease, physical examinations, and skin biopsies performed under local anesthesia.

Treatment Options:

Based on the location of the tumor, the size of the tumor, the age of the patient, and other contributing factors, cryosurgery with a temperature probe and cryotherapy instruments that typically produce a very successful cure rate, repeated electrodesiccation and curettage that may include up to five cycles, photodynamic therapy with the application of photosensitizers such as methyl aminolevulinate, immunotherapy using euphorbia peplus, or imiquimod cream, for the treatment of superficial basal-cell carcinomas, radiation therapy to eradicate the disease through internal brachytherapy or radiotherapy, chemotherapy with such medications as 5-flurouracil, microscopically-controlled Mohs surgery that produces up to a 99 percent cure rate of primary basal-cell carcinomas, Johns surgery that may remove several layers of skin until there are no signs of the cancer left, and surgeries with frozen section histologies, or parrafin-implanted fixed tissue pathologies, are available treatment options for basal-cell carcinomas.

Risk Factors:

Common risk factors for basal-cell carcinomas include long term daily exposure to the sun, having had several severe sunburns early in life, family members with a history of the disease, having many moles on the patient's body, overexposure to x-rays or radiation, red or blonde hair, freckled skin, light-colored skin, and gray, green, or blue eyes.

Prognosis:

The progosis for basal-cell carcinoma typically depends on how early the disease was diagnosed, and patients with the ailment should receive regularly scheduled check-ups, and perform monthly self-examinations, to ensure the cancer has not returned.

Sources:

This Article was compiled from several websites that provide much more information about basal-cell carcinoma including:

www.cancercenter.com/basal-cell-carcinoma/basal-cell-carcinoma-symptoms.cfm" target="_blank">http://.www.cancercenter.com/basal-cell-carcinoma/basal-cell-carcinoma-symptoms.cfm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/basal-cell-carcinoma/DS00925/DSECTION=causes
http://www.healthscout.com/ency/1/199/main.html
http://www.basalcellmohs.com/basal_cell_3.html
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medicineplus/article/000824.htm
Go to Top of Page

mrosen

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  14:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anivoc, Thanks for info...greatly appreciated...Pretty scary stuff and i used a different word then Yikes! Superficial Basal Cell Carcinoma is the only one listed where Euphorbia Peplus is indicated...? The Australian Doc(from the Peplin trial) that talked to Jilly mentioned those 3 that wouldnt work with PS and would need MOHS...does that mean all those others would(i dont think so?)...theres so many. Theres no way of Knowing what kind of BCC people who post here and were succesful(unless indicated) have? Some of the posts on this forum that looked succesful(i hope they still are) using PS werent just superfiscial,atleast according to the discriptions of the twelve? Very frustating for sure... anivoc,you mentioned you wanted to see my BCC lab report,did u mean from the biopsy i already had or if get MOHS? Mark
Go to Top of Page

mrosen

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  15:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anivoc...i should have read info u sent more closely. The part: Basal Cell Carsinoma Groups talks about the 3 subtypes which corosponds with Jilly info...Mark
Go to Top of Page

anivoc

640 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  20:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mrosen...I was a referring to what the Doc told you..that he would find out what type you had before the Mohs surgery..

I wonder how many dermatologist actually know all of the varieties and sub species..

Go to Top of Page

mrosen

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  09:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anivoc...Actually let me clarify, the derm doc said my biopsy report just says BCC and when i go for the MOHS they will find out what kind it is? I am going to go to derms office monday to get report anyway and call lab directly to see what info they have? anivoc..you had some MOHS done? Around nose area? Thanks for info Mark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Skin Cancer Forum © 2013 www.topicalinfo.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

Disclaimer: The three most common types of skin cancer are basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma. While melanoma is the most dangerous type, keep in mind that any cancer and potentially some cancer treatments can cause injury or death. The various views expressed in these public forums should not be considered as medical advice. See your qualified health-care professional for medical attention, advice, diagnosis, and treatments.