Skin Cancer Forum
Skin Cancer Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Skin Cancer Forums at Topicalinfo.org
 Skin cancer topical treatments
 My Mohs Experience (warning pics are graphic)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

bspratt

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  17:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread originally started as "bloodroot paste on face? with journal and pics" detailing self treatment then finally choosing Mohs procedure with 5 stubborn lesions - 3 biopsied SCC and 2 BCC. Full transparency - did not complete bloodroot treatment on forehead or even attempt on neck L-side (1st Mohs). The forehead was just too big as this BCC was at least 6 yrs old; the neck SCC was sort of thrown into the pile and I knew it would be the easiest hence a good starting point. Please don't misinterpret this thread as "Pro Mohs"; not here to debate but just share the journey. I do favor self treatment always to traditional but sometimes it just makes sense if you can afford or perhaps you have tried topical remedies without success. By the way, I have had good success with bloodroot paste in the past with several lesions saving me $ and time. If you have not read the "bloodroot paste on face with journal and pics" thread than I encourage you to do so. Blessings - Bill

Edited by - bspratt on 09/10/2018 18:28:37

bspratt

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  17:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Repost from other thread on 9/8/18 Sept 8th today - had my first Mohs procedure ever on Sat morning! Have 5 scheduled; in 10 days go back to get stitches removed from neck and second procedure will be performed. After that 1 week only between the next 3. Wanted to journal this treatment method also. Like my new doctor very much; again he is cool with self treatment; just says don't let them get too big before seeing him. He is referring to BCC and SCC and pre cancerous - non melanoma; if you ever suspect you have melanoma get it looked at promptly. Appt was this morning 8:30AM very prompt and fast the nurse wiped area with alcohol then applied locals (shots) other than slight pinch and mild burn not bad at all. Doctor came in we mostly talked about football as he he took a scoop and cauterized wound; then sent sample next door to the lab. I went back out to lobby thinking that was fast! 5 min? Was not watching the clock but did not seem like 30 minutes (what I was told to expect) when nurse called me back into room and said good news margins clear - Hallelujah! Took about 10-15 min for doctor to sew me up, nurse applied bandages and said don't take off for 2 days then remove wash with mild soap and water and keep wet with vaseline or aquaphor. Will return in 10 days for #2 stay tuned.

Image Insert:

91.5 KB

Image Insert:

122.09 KB

Edited by - bspratt on 09/10/2018 19:16:58
Go to Top of Page

bspratt

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  18:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quick update this is the Monday following 1st Mohs procedure SCC on Saturday. Few thoughts - pain has been minimal, took 2 ibuprofen Sat and 1 Sunday. None today. Took bandage off as directed 2 days later and recovered with aquaphor (keep wet) and applied one band aid. The number of stitches and length really surprised me - but so far no issues with pulling; I can twist neck fine. Looks pretty good. Now regarding Mohs - I have read and this 1st one proves that depth wise they go down to tissue and take a thin layer of it as well. Hearing about Mohs might lead someone to think minimal skin removal, but this is regarding perimeter and margins. Not a medical professional here but all pics and references indicate full layer of skin is removed and when necessary they cut out more around the wound at same depth to be cancer free. The next 3 will be (just being honest) more invasive as they are larger to start and not in the convenient locations as this one was. The 5th one is not that old and pretty small. Is there anxiety? There was - and not to be preachy but this body does not belong to me and I know there is a higher purpose in all things. Thankfully, there are people praying for me and I have complete faith that things will go the way they need to. Blessings - Bill

Image Insert:

89.71 KB

Edited by - bspratt on 09/18/2018 13:57:41
Go to Top of Page

anivoc

642 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2018 :  13:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing the update....

At this juncture I am very concerned and embarrassed that I have let the lesions I have get as far along without surrendering to the knife..

It's ridiculous how big some have gotten but day by day I have treated many areas have had some excellent success...and some terrible failures

I have been one who has tried a litany of approaches the first being bloodroot paste which absolutely worked but OUCH and holy swollen wounds....

Don't want to hijack this thread...I'll start a new one soon and document my first visit to a dermatologist which I have conceded I must do very soon ( have not made the appointment) The poor derm will probably freak out and certainly consider having me committed because You'd have to be crazy to let these lesions get as bad as I have...

Thanks again for posting your progress here...
Go to Top of Page

bspratt

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  13:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey brother, we are all in this together - especially the believers on this board who know there is a greater purpose to all of it! Thank you for your faithfulness in researching/trying different methods and sharing. Who knows how many hundreds/thousands have been helped by this board and given hope. I will pray that you find the right doctor - and keep fighting the good fight - Yes there may be a time to surrender to the knife but its not a pleasant journey either as you will see below with today's procedure #2 (behind ear). In the football movie "Facing the Giants" the theme was We give Glory to God for the wins and we Praise God in the losses! I know this may not make much sense to some but I pray that hearts and eyes will be opened.
Go to Top of Page

bspratt

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  13:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I went in to have stitches removed for procedure #1 SCC and to have the second Moh's procedure. Something told me this was not going to go smoothly. First a quick picture of stitches removed and left side neck area healing well. Remember, the doctor ordered the procedures in a certain sequence and this one was the "easiest". Looks good after 10 days of healing very thankful.

Image Insert:

102.22 KB

Edited by - bspratt on 09/18/2018 14:14:27
Go to Top of Page

bspratt

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  13:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2nd procedure SCC performed today behind ear. Started out much like the first with a quick "num up" local shots and "scoops" taken/cauterized. 1/2 hour later called in and given results "there is more". We repeat this 3 times! Each time, more locals, more samples and cauterizing. Not pleasant, and at times you begin to ask yourself - has it spread? Is it ever going to be over? Just being honest - praying every step of the way. On the 4th sample he said we are at finish line just clearing edges. Not sure if that makes you feel better or not but it was a small piece taken compared to rest. It is what it is and I'm reading a book about a soldier with PTSD and the kinds of things he is dealing with and telling myself could be worse - Lord Bless every man and woman who has served and sacrificed may He bring healing and peace to those souls. Pictures below 1st is before the procedure. Please take note and DO NOT ALLOW your lesion behind the ear to reach this size. If you notice on the 3rd picture a small circle drawn with marker the doctor noticed that this is probably BCC and biopsied that also - one stop shopping! If you don't smile or laugh about this stuff it will drive you crazy. He decided to not stitch but to let heal on own 4 weeks minimum, however my next procedure is next Weds already - was hoping for a reprieve but probably for the best. #3 on deck is the Left side "temple" area - closer to forehead SCC. More to come. Going to get some Tylenol...

Image Insert:

106.84 KB

Image Insert:

106.07 KB

Image Insert:

113.97 KB

Edited by - bspratt on 09/18/2018 14:06:23
Go to Top of Page

anivoc

642 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2018 :  22:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brother prayers going out for you and a speedy recovery... being men of faith helps but in the end this ain't no picnic. I've been on vacation I will choose my supplemental medicare program this week (Turned 65 last week) and then it's time to face the guys with the scalpel...ugh! Hope mine are all just basal as they have been in the past I am really concerned about the one on my cheek...just behaving differently than the others on my forehead and shoulder...The shoulder Nodular basal cell is a beast as big as a medium sized apricot at this juncture so it has to go first...just call me Quasimodo...bump? what bump?
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Skin Cancer Forum © 2013 www.topicalinfo.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

Disclaimer: The three most common types of skin cancer are basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma. While melanoma is the most dangerous type, keep in mind that any cancer and potentially some cancer treatments can cause injury or death. The various views expressed in these public forums should not be considered as medical advice. See your qualified health-care professional for medical attention, advice, diagnosis, and treatments.